Melasti Ceremony Purpose
The purpose of this Melasti ceremony is to purify Bhuana Alit (small world) and Bhuana Agung (this universe) from bad influences, bad deeds and bad thoughts. Bhuana Alit (small world) is meaning the heart / soul of each individual who lives in this world while Bhuana Agung was the wide world or this universe. This ceremony is very important value to remind /realize how important this life and we need a day to purify ourselves and the universe. With this ceremony, all the components that live in this world have a clean soul so the world can survive from the threat of a bad thing.
When this ceremony is held?
Melasti ceremony held once a year to coincide the welcome of Nyepi Day / Silent Day. Melasti procession is usually held four / three days before Nyepi / Silent Day. This is done because in accordance to the purpose of this ceremony where before Nyepi Day that all the elements at Bhuana Alit and Bhuana Agung should be clean and pure. This is very important because the feelings / heart clean and pure, we can implement Nyepi Day perfectly.
Does foreign tourist or non-Hindus can join in this ceremony?Sure can! You can join in this procession with that in mind, or the required respect for local culture as follows:
- You must have a clean soul from the mind of all the bad things in this world like no hate, anger, lust and so on.
- You must have a sincere upright soul
- For those women are menstruating, you are forbidden to follow these processions
- You are allowed to take photos and video during the procession
- Ask for assistance to the travel agency in Bali to lead you in this procession to obtain the correct explanation