Ulun Danu Temple – a Sacred Hindu Temple set on Beratan Lake
Ulun Danu Temple is a Balinese Hindu Temple located at Candi Kuning countryside, Baturiti sub district and Tabanan regency. The distance from Denpasar town is about 50 km north side the way from Denpasar to Singaraja. This temple is set at lakeside of Beratan with beautiful lake view and hills surround it. Ulun Danu Temple is situated in the plateau area with cool atmosphere surround it as well as green hills as a backdrop. We can find Pucak Sangkur mount at north side of this temple. Meanwhile, there is Beratan Mount which also referred as Pucak Mangu or Pucak Pangelengan in the east side. And also, there is Terate Bang Mount in the south side. Finally, Tapak Mount and Watukaru Mount in the west side of Ulun Danu Temple.
Ulun Danu Temple Bedugul Story and Philosophy
The name of Ulun Danu Temple Beratan is taken from the lake where the temple is built at Beratan Lake. The name of Beratan Lake is inseparable with the Beratan Mount as Deity and Goddess as fertility source, prosperity to keep the prosperity in life and society life. In papyrus chronicle of the Mengwi, this temple is referred as the name of Parhyangan ri pinggiring danu Beratan (sanctum located in lakeside of Beratan Lake ). Ulun is come from Hulu word meaning head or power and in this case is intended by Ulun Danu Temple Beratan means power of Beratan Lake that is Danu Goddess.
Ulun Danu Temple Beratan is consisted of 4 temples complex that are:
- Lingga Petak Temple owns the function to worship the Siwa God
- Penataran Pucak Mangu Temple is a gate as Parhyangan ri pinggiring rawa Beratan or Danu Beratan Temple. It is founded by I Gusti Agung Putu to worship the Hyang ing Parwata or Deity located in Pucak Mangu. This deity is Bhatara Hyang Danawa as according to papyrus of Padma Bhuwana and Usana Bali. It is because, Mangu Mount is standing in north direction, hence it is called the Bhatara Hyang Danawa or Wisnu God
- Terate Bang Temple is functioning to worship of Brahma God
- Dalem Purwa Temple is functioning to worship of Danu Goddess, She is also as Bhatara Hyang Danawa or Laksmi Goddess.
In Papyrus Chronicle of the Mengwi is elaborated by the history of Ulun Danu Temple Beratan founding together with existence of the Mengwi Empire. Therefore, its status is the secondhand of Temple Empire group and usually they pertains as Dang Kahyangan. It is the same story with the description in papyrus of Usana Bali and Padma Bhuwana. Hence, Puncak Mangu Temple with the Panyawangan (representative place to worship) is the Ulun Danu Temple. So it is called by entire Balinese residents as Kahyangan Jagat (The Biggest Group of Hindu Temple in Bali )
Temple Ceremony o Ulun Danu Temple Beratan
The temple ceremony execution at Ulun Danu Temple Beratan is consisted of two types those are:
- The temple ceremony which is executed every six-month (210 days) that on Anggara (Tuesday) Kliwon Julungwangi (Base on Balinese Hindu calendar). Every 12 months (420 days) is executed by the bigger ceremony from the ordinary ceremony, so-called Piodalan Agung
- Pakelem ceremony is executed at any times as according to situation and condition. The Pakelem ceremony owns the function to worship the supremacy and also cheapness of the infinite for award of life, fertility, prosperity, as impact of the existence of ecosystem balance so that give the benefit for life and universe life forever and ever, during Beratan Lake and Beratan Mount stand up
Bali Temple on Lake is opened for Visitors
Ulun Danu Temple is set on Beratan lake. It is a unique Bali Temple as a mascot for Bali’s tourism. This temple is one of the famous Bali Places of Interest situated in the plateau area and surrounded by cold weather and owns the magnificent view which makes impression for every visitor. This temple is strategically located beside the main road from Denpasar to Singaraja. It is very easy to locate this temple by following the main road with the good access. You may also join Bedugul Tours or Singaraja Tour to visit this beautiful temple. Other places of interest nearby includes Buyan Lake, Tamblingan Lake, Botanical Garden, Jatiluwih Rice Terrace, Batukaru Temple, Taman Ayun Temple, Penatahan Hot Spring, Butterfly Park, Alas Kedaton Monkey Forest and Tanah Lot. Meanwhile other places of interest in Tabanan Regency that recommended to visit includes Serijong Temple, Blemantung Waterfall and Belimbing Rice Terrace.
Favorite Tours to Visit Places of Interest in Tabanan Regency
Tabanan Regency is a famous regency and well known as a center of rice in Bali Island. This region is featured by many places of interest those are most appointed as tourist destinations and the following favorite land tours that we can recommend to you includes Bedugul Tour, Batukaru Tour, Tanah Lot Tour, Tanah Lot Sunset Dinner Package, Bali Farm Tour, Bedugul VW Safari Tour and Rafting Tanah Lot Tour Package.
Photo Gallery of Ulun Danu Temple – Bali Temple on Lake
- Parking Area
- Public Telephone
- Food Stall
- Fishing Gear Rental
- Souvenir Shops
- Guest House
- Drinks Stall
- Boat Rentals