Kehen Temple is a beautiful Hindu temple located in foothills, south part of Bangli Regency and it is about 45 Km from Denpasar town. Inside of this temple are, there is Panyimpenan Temple building keep 3 inscriptions which is relating to its contents and temple existence. It is strategically located in the high land, so we can see the beautiful view. It is a famous temple in Bali and many visitors from foreign country has visited it. Bali Island has been well known that offers many places of interest throughout the island and Kehen Temple is one of them that you must visit. The local government has established the places of interest that ideally for tourist destinations, so it will be one route when you go for sightseeing to Kintamani then this temple is an alternative to visit. Our Bali Ancient Village Safari Tour is one of the tourist activities in Bali to visit this beautiful village and you can contact our team to get more information about this tour. Or you may join with our Penglipuran Tampak Siring Expedition to explore the beautiful traditional village in north east of Bali and bring you to the memorable experiences.
Kehen Temple, The Story Review
The existence of the inscription at Kehen Temple can be explained as follows:
- Kehen Temple Inscription ‘A’ is mentioning the existence of 3 sanctums those are Hyang Api, Hyang Tanda, and Hyang Karimama
- Kehen Temple Inscription ‘B’ from 11 century is mentioning the empire functionary that is the Senapati Kuturan pu Kandara and it elaborate with the anathema words in oath
- The Inscription from 13 century (year 1204 M) is mentioning Hyang Kehen and Hyang Wukir. At the moment Hyang Kehen is equal to Kehen Temple and Hyang Wukir is Puncak Bukit Bangli Temple .
Function of Kehen Temple as follows:
- It is one of Monarchic Temple , The temple under the aegis of king while ceremony execution and construction is delivered to local countryside custom
- As a sanctum which is used as a altar (oath) for empire functionary who disloyal to his obligation will incur the Sapata or very horrible anathema. The function of Kehen Temple as sanctum in execution of oath ceremony is supported by the existence of a circumlocutory canister by 4 dragon tails which is called canister Sarpantaka. Nowadays, the canister is placed in a building in form of Gedong
- Worshiping supremacy Siwa God in the form of Eka Dasa Rudra utilizes to request the godsend to the good human life and universe for blessing of fertile life, secure, prosperous and peaceful.
The structure of Kehen Temple yard is arranged to have a terrace and it shows the existence of tradition megalithic which is continued as a symbol from the existence of mount that is one of the fertility sources. The temple festival can be divided into 2 types those are Piodalan Ceremony which is executed every 6 month, that is on Wednesday Keliwon Sinta (Balinese Calendar) and Ngusaba Ceremony which is executed every 5 years.
Other Bali Places to Visit in Bangli Regency
Bangli Regency is located in north east of Bali Island where the majority of area are situated in the plateau area. There are couple of places recommended to visit since the local government has appointed those places as the tourist destinations. The following places of interest can be visited includes Kintamani, Kehen Temple, Penglipuran Village, Ulun Danu Batur Temple, Bukit Penulisan Temple and Dusun Kuning Waterfall.
Kehen Temple Photo Gallery
- Parking Area
- Public Toilet
- Entrance Fee – Charge
- Food Stall
- Drinks Stall
Kehen Temple, Places of Interest MAP
View Kehen Temple in a larger map